Four protesters who took part in last year’s Black Lives Matter demonstrations have denied charges of violent disorder.
Omar Badreddin, 23, Mohamed Badreddin, 20, Abdullah Sanogo, 24, and Naif Muhirez, 20, all appeared before Newcastle Magistrates’ Court on Monday to enter their pleas.
All four were charged with being part of a group of three or more people who “used or threatened unlawful violence” in the city centre on June 13 last year.
READ MORE: Mum of three died of blood clots after having Covid vaccine
A total of 38 people were charged with public order offences after counter-protesters gathered at Grey’s Monument on that day in response to a demonstration against racism.
Summarising the charges, prosecutor Janette Smith said the four men present, along with a fifth man who did not appear in court, were those charged from the Black Lives Matter side of the protest.
The four entered not guilty pleas, and their case will now be heard before a jury at Newcastle Crown Court on July 26.
Omar and Mohamed Badreddin, of Middle Garth, Newcastle, were represented in court by John Brown.
Sanogo, of Kendal Street, Newcastle, was represented by Janice Hall, and Muhirez, of Royal Crescent, by Neil Connell.
They were all granted unconditional bail.
Chair of the bench Jeremy Willoughby told them: “You are all charged with public order [offences] and, in particular, violent disorder, and your case is going to be heard on the first occasion on July 26.”
“In the meantime, you are going to be on unconditional bail – this means that you have to turn up in court.”
Credit: Source link